- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (1.8kg.) pumpkin
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 litre low-salt chicken or vegetable stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 120 ml double cream, plus more for garnish (optional)
- In a heavy soup pot or casserole dish over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until golden.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel, and scrape out seeds of the pumpkin. Cut into chunks.
- Add pumpkin chunks and stock to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until pumpkin is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and, using an immersion blender, blend mixture until smooth. (Alternatively, let soup cool, then blend in a blender.) Stir in cream and season to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, add a swirl of cream, and garnish with pepper.