Chicken of the Woods Risotto
- Flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mushroom seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic and garlic powder
- 1 whole white onion (diced)
- 1 scoop of butter
- 250g of brown rice
- 500 ml of homemade veggie stock
- 8 oz of fresh cremini mushrooms (cut in slices)
- 8 oz of fresh chicken of the woods mushrooms (cut in slices – only use the soft parts of the mushroom)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 of mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Sauté mushrooms until tender and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a medium bowl. Working in 3 more batches, repeat with 6 tablespoons butter, remaining mushrooms, and salt and pepper.
- Bring 1L chicken broth to simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm.
- Melt remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with olive oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add leek, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice and increase heat to medium.
- Stir until the edges of rice begin to look translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add white wine and vermouth and stir until liquid is absorbed about 1 minute.
- Add 150ml warm chicken broth; stir until almost all broth is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Continue adding broth by 150ml at a time, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more until rice is halfway cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in sautéed mushrooms.
- Continue adding broth by 150mls, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more until rice is tender but still firm to bite and risotto is creamy about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 50g grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Transfer risotto to a serving bowl. Pass additional Parmesan cheese alongside, if desired.