Roasting the lamb
- 2 leeks, chopped into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 white onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 celery sticks, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 x 2.5kg (5lb 8oz) leg of lamb
- Fine sea salt and black pepper
- 250ml (9fl oz) white wine
- 2 garlic bulbs, cut in half crossways
For the Gravy
- 30g (1oz) plain flour
- 300ml (10fl oz) red wine
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 500ml (1lb 2oz) lamb stock
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Scatter the leeks, onions, carrots and celery in a roasting tin.
- Season the lamb and lay it on top, then pour in the wine. Roast for 1½ hours, adding the garlic
- Check the meat with a digital thermometer. It should be 51-54°C for medium-rare, 57-60°C for medium, and 68-70°C for well done. halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, place on a rack and rest for 20 minutes. For the gravy, pour off fat from the roasting tin, leaving 1tbsp behind.